In this episode of the Soul Sessions with Jodie Gale, I discuss The Perils of Fitness Trackers with Kyla Holley from the Australian Centre for Eating Disorders.
Kyla is a Psychotherapist & Master Practitioner in evidence-based treatments for sufferers of Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder, Orthorexia and OSFED (Other Specified Feeding and Eating Disorder). She is also a bariatric specialist and practices an anti-diet approach for people with weight concerns. After training with The National Centre for Eating Disorders (UK) she founded the Australian Centre for Eating Disorders and developed a number of training courses in eating disorders and weight concerns for health professionals in Australia and New Zealand. Kyla is also one of only two people in Australia trained to use the 4R’s treatment protocol for ARFID (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder ), developed by Felix Economakis. She migrated to Australia from the UK 22 years ago and currently lives and works in Coffs Harbour.
In Trackorexia: The Perils of Fitness Trackers, Kyla and I talk about:
- Kyla’s personal history with food and weight concerns, and how she became a psychotherapist and founder of the Australian Centre for Eating Disorders
- What is trackorexia?
- Why tracking numbers, weight, calories, carbs and steps are problematic
- Self-worth and seeking external validation
- Negative reinforcements
- When counting and tracking become unhealthy
- Childhood obesity and fitness trackers
- Should children wear fitness trackers?
- What and who should we be listening to?
- What support is out there for people struggling with these issues?
Connect with Kyla
ACFED on Facebook
Subscribe now to discover why women from all around the globe are tuning in to the Soul Sessions with Jodie Gale podcast.
Subscribe now and get your Free eBook: 4 Ways to Befriend Your Body
Join The Soul-Centred Women Facebook Group
Want to be a guest on the show? You can find topics of interest and more information on our Write for Us page.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download