I’m a pretty big fan of avocado!
It is a great source of vitamins C, E, K, B-6, riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, potassium, lutein, beta-carotene, folate and omega-3 fatty acids.
The healthy fat in an avocado helps to support skin health, enhances the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, minerals, nutrients and helps boost the immune system.
Avocado also increases the nutrient value of other plant foods so it goes perfectly in this salad from Eat Your Greens.
I have adapted the recipe to make it perfectly balanced by adding carbohydrates and more plant-based protein via the seeds. You could also add some chickpeas, tofu or other protein of choice.
Super Raw Vegetable Salad
- 1 small fennel, thinly sliced
- 150 g of Savoy cabbage, thinly shredded
- 150g of red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 3 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- I carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1 large handful of rocket leaves
- 1 small handful of dill fronds
- I small handful of mint leaves
- 1 small handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup of cooked grains such as brown rice, quinoa or farro
- ¼ cup of salad seed mix or toasted seeds such as pumpkin, sunflower or sesame seeds
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Arrange the salad ingredients in a bowl or on a platter. Spoon over the dressing and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
Avocado and Tahini Dressing
- 1 ½ avocados, skin and stone removed
- ½ garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tsp of finely chopped basil leaves
- 1 ½ TBSP of tahini
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 2 TBSP of lemon juice, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 TBSP of olive oil
- Freshly ground sea salt & black pepper
Process the avocado, garlic, basil and tahini until smooth and creamy. Add the cumin, lemon juice, olive oil and continue to process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Looking for more balanced plant-based recipes and ideas? Follow my Nourish boards on Pinterest.