In Veganism & Mental Health: The Cost of Caring, counsellor Amanda Atchison shares with us about the mental health concerns caused by being vegan in a non-vegan world. She also gives tips to counsellors and psychotherapist who work with vegan clients and how to support them.
Amanda Atchison is an Adolescent Counsellor & Educational Advocacy Liaison, BDes(IndDes), BTeach(Prim&Sec), DipCouns. She brings a distinctive blend of skills and knowledge to the team at 12 Points Psychology. Amanda has extensive experience as a primary and secondary teacher working across a variety of educational settings, particularly with disengaged youth. This knowledge underpins her counselling work and provides her clients and their families with a broader scope for support.
Amanda works with older children and adolescents who are experiencing challenges with a wide variety of issues including anxiety, depression, bullying, social skills, low self-esteem, self-harm, grief and loss, emotional dysregulation, truancy and learning difficulties.
Amanda’s strengths lie within her ability to; connect with young people through respectful conversation in which they feel heard without judgement and create a safe space for change to occur. She particularly loves to work with those who may have struggled to connect with other professionals and seeks to empower clients as experts in their own life stories.
In Veganism & Mental Health: The Cost of Caring, Amanda also shares with us about:
- How veganism has become more widespread due to climate change, more access to products and documentaries such as Forks Over Knives, Game Changers, Cowspiracy & Blackfish
- What people gain by becoming vegan
- What is vistopia – Clare Mann, vegan psychologist
- The different types of vegans
- The types of people who become vegan
- The Bunnings Vegan BBQ uproar
- Veganism and sensitivity
- Judith orf psychiatrist book depository about empaths
- Eating disorders and veganism
- What eating disorder therapists need to know about
- The mental health issues re harming animals
- The importance of social connection
- The principle of Do No Harm
- Veganism Australia
- Jodie’s vegetarian and vegan Pinterest boards
- The SoulCentre.Online vegan & plant-based nourishing recipes
Connect with Amanda online:
12 Points Psychology website
Follow Amanda on Pinterest
Follow 12 Points Psychology on Facebook
Connect Online with Jodie
Trauma Warriors™ Facebook page
Trauma Warriors™ Facebook Group
The Psychosynthesis Centre Facebook page
Opening the Door on Private Practice for Counsellors & Psychotherapists